Magliano’s Turkey Breast and Potatoes in Red Garlic Sauce (Mama Flori’s Recipe)
– 1 bigTurkey Breast – sliced in steak pieces
– 2 kg of Potatoes – peeled and cut into bite size pieces
– 1 big Bulb of Garlic (or around 12 cloves) – peeled
– 2 heaped tablespoons of Tomato Paste
– 2 tablespoons of olive oil
– 6 tablespoons of sunflower seed oil
– 1 heaped teaspoon Oregano
– 1 heaped teaspoon Basil
– 1 heaped teaspoon Thyme
– 1 heaped teaspoon Smoked Paprika
– 1 heaped teaspoon Pepper
– 2 – 3 heaped teaspoons Salt
– 2 – 3 heaped tablespoons of Sweet Paprika
– 1 – 2 litres of water
1. In a big oven tray pour 4 tablespoons of sunflower seed oil and add in the potatoes. Stir well and put it in the preheated 240 degrees Celsius oven and let it until the potatoes start to soften a bit. About 10 to 15 min…
2. In the mean time take a pestle and add in your garlic and 2 teaspoons of salt and bash it until it turns into a paste. Once this happens add in your remaining sunflower seed oil and your olive oil. Mix it well and let it rest for 10 to 15 min.
3. In the meantime take a big bowl and mix together the tomato paste, oregano, basil, thyme, smoked paprika, pepper, sweet paprika and the remaining teaspoon of salt. Mix everything really well, then add in the garlic paste and mix again until everything is well incorporated. Once this happens add in the water and mix again until you get a watery sauce with a very lose consistency.
4. Take the tray out of the oven and arrange your slices of turkey breast in between your potatoes, and then pour over them your tomato and garlic watery mixture. If needed top it up with some more water so that the potatoes and meat are barely covered and pop it back in the oven for as long as needed. You want your potatoes to be soft and the fork should pierce them easily, and the turkey should be cooked through with it’s colour completely changed. This should take about 30 min since the potatoes are already partially cooked.
5. When it’s ready serve with some bread for dipping and Magliano’s Cucumber Salad.
Prep time: 30 min
Total time: 1h 20 min – 1h 30 min
· You can use this watery sauce to make a vegetarian dish and cook just potatoes in it.
· You can also use this recipe to cook chicken or pork and you could use different cuts of meat such as chicken drumsticks or pork tenderloin.
Tip: If you have any leftovers, although we highly doubt it, you can store them in your fridge for up to 5 days and warm them up in a pan over medium heat or even in the microwave.